The video player lets you play videos in different formats from external sources. It is included in the Dashboard bundle.
The following video formats are supported. For more information, see Limitations.
URLs used in the video player must be added to the allowlist by the tenant admin the Management Console. For more information, see Managing Content Security Policy. For allowlist examples, see Video player allowlist examples.
When to use it
The video player is useful when you want to include a video in your application. For example, you want to show a demo or a training video, add a tutorial, or present corporate news.
You can add video player object to a sheet that you are editing. Add or paste a video link into the video object. The video is streamed from a source; it is not uploaded to Qlik Sense. By default, the video format of the link will be auto-detected, the video will not auto-play, and video controls will be available to app consumers.
Do the following:
- In the advanced edit mode assets panel, open Custom objects > Dashboard bundle and drag a Video player object to the sheet, or click Add to Sheet.
- Add a video as a URL in the video player object field Add URL, or in the properties panel under Video > URL. You can format the URL field as an expression.
- Autodetect format is default setting and it will adjust accordingly based on the URL. You can also turn off Autodetect, and then select the correct supported video format.
Once you have added the video, you may want to adjust its options.
Setting video options
Video options are set in the Properties pane.
Click Auto play if you want the video to automatically start when viewed in analyzer mode. Auto play is turned off by default. When Auto play is selected, the video starts but it is muted. The app user has to select Unmute to turn the sound on.
Click Hide Controls to turn off video controls in analyzer mode. By default, video controls are visible.
You can add a Poster image. By default, the poster image is turned off. For Source, select an external URL that directs to an image, or add an image from your media library.
If a poster image is selected, the selected image is displayed before the video starts playing. Poster alignment specifies how the poster image will align inside the video player.
You cannot play the video in edit mode. The video restarts when you switch between analyzer mode and edit mode.
In analyzer mode, you start the video with the play button. You can pause, switch between mute and unmute, and view the video in full screen. You can also share the video player object, and Take snapshot.
In edit mode, the right-click context menu provides options for Qlik Sense. In analyzer mode, the context menu provides options for YouTube.
The app developer (edit mode) or app consumer (analyzer mode) must allow YouTube videos to play in Qlik Sense.
The video player has the following limitations:
- Safari does not support OGG and WEBM formats.
- iPhone adds native video controls. It does not use video player controls, therefore Hide Controls will not turn off controls.
- Android does not support OGG format.
- When exporting or printing a sheet that includes a video player object, the video player object will not be included.
The following table provides allowlist examples for the video player. For more information, see Managing Content Security Policy.
|wiki img src||upload.wikimedia.org||img-src, media-src|
|YouTube - No cookies||www.youtube-nocookie.com||child-src, font-src, frame-ancestors, frame-src, img-src, media-src, script-src, worker-src|
|YouTube||www.youtube.com||child-src, font-src, frame-ancestors, frame-src, img-src, media-src, script-src, worker-src|
|YouTube - img||img.youtube.com||img-src|