A shared space is a section of the cloud hub used to develop apps collaboratively and control access to apps. You can find your shared spaces using the spaces drop-down in Catalog.
Any user with a professional license can create a space. This behavior is controlled by a setting in the Management Console. The tenant administrator can turn off this default setting in the Management Console. Go to Settings > Entitlements, then toggle off the Professional entitlements can create shared spaces option. If the tenant administrator turns off this feature, then only users with a TenantAdmin, AnalyticsAdmin, or SharedSpaceCreator role can create shared spaces.
Space roles are assigned to members when they are added to a shared space. Each role is a set of permissions that define what members can do in the shared space. There are five permissions in shared spaces:
- Owner: You are the first administrator that can manage the space and its members as well as create content in the space. This role cannot be assigned to other members of the space.
- Can manage: You can manage the space and its members as well as create content in the space.
- Can edit: You can add and edit content in apps. You cannot manage the space and its membership.
- Can view: You can view apps in the space, but cannot create content or manage the space.
- Can consume data: You can consume data sources, but cannot create or edit data sources. They cannot create content or manage the space. See Managing data sources in spaces to learn about data sources inside a space.
Members can be assigned different roles in a space. They can also be removed from spaces. For information on managing permissions in a shared space, see Managing permissions in shared spaces.
You can create new apps directly in a shared space. You can also move apps from your personal space to a shared space so other members can work on them. For more information on collaborating with users in a space, see Using apps in shared spaces.
Creating shared spaces
A space's owner is the user who created the space. The owner of a space cannot be changed in the cloud hub. Space owners can be changed in the Management Console.
Space names must be unique .
Do the following:
Click the spaces drop-down and select Add a space.
Alternatively, click Add new and select Create space.
- Enter a name for the space and a description for the space.
- Click Create.
Adding members to shared spaces
Members can be added to the space by the owner or members with Can manage permission. If your tenant administrator has enabled groups, you can also add groups of members to your space.
If a member has individual permission and group permission in a space, the highest permission level is applied.
Do the following:
In the space, click and then Manage members.
- Search for members by name and select the members you want to add to the space.
- Select a permission for the members and click Add members.
- Click Done.
Editing the names and descriptions of shared spaces
You can change the name and description of the space.
Do the following:
In the space, click and then Edit space.
- Change the name and description and click Save.
Deleting shared spaces
You can delete a space. Only the tenant administrator, analytics administrator, or a user with Is owner or Can manage permission can delete a space.
In the space, click and then Delete space.
- Click Delete.
Developing and sharing apps with shared spaces
There are different ways of developing apps collaboratively and sharing them with other members of your cloud hub. Here is a sample workflow for using shared spaces:
- Create an app
Create an app in your personal space. Add data sources, create a data model, and create scheduled reloads for the app.
The creator of an app is the only user who can manage the data in an app, so the data model must be complete before the app can be collaboratively developed with other users.
- Create a shared space
Add a shared space to your cloud hub for collaborative development of your app.
- Move your app to the space
Once the app is ready for collaboration, move your app to your shared space.
- Add users to the space
Add collaborators to your space and assign them Can edit permission. Collaborators must have a professional license.
- Add data to the space
Optionally, add additional data resources to the space for other collaborators to use.
- Develop apps in the space collaboratively
All Can edit users can add sheets, stories, and bookmarks to the app. Their content is private until they chose to make it public in the app.
Add the target audience for the app to the space
When the app is ready for its target audience, you can add them to your space.
If this space is used purely for development, you can move the app to another space to which the app audience has access.
- Update your app
You may receive feedback from your app audience. An app in a space can be updated at any time with changes to the data model or content in the app.
- Retire an app from the shared space
When the app is no longer required, you can delete it from the cloud hub.
- Retire the space
When the space is no longer required, you can delete it from the cloud hub.