Understanding your data with catalog tools
Data catalog tools help you improve your data efficiency while maintaining security and compliance standards. Access to critical business metadata and the ability to apply user-defined tags and categorical properties are essential for data analysts and business groups. Data administrators can verify the accuracy of data content and optimize data discovery by assigning and editing business metadata (names, descriptions, terms, tags, and properties). Business Intelligence users and app developers can configure personalized tags, apply properties, and browse dataset samples and profile statistics to ensure that datasets are easy to find and contain the right information.
Catalog tools are available for new and existing datasets that a user has access to in their personal and shared spaces. Users have views into data files that help them to gain insights and make determinations about the data. Users can see where the comes from, what type of data it is, and how it can best be analyzed and used. This information helps to determine whether to create a new app with data or whether to load the data into an existing app.
The following catalog tools are available in the cloud hub for data discovery and managing business metadata:
- Dataset detail viewer: Business and technical information about the dataset can be reviewed here. Details include the source file, creation and last modified timestamps, creator, size, applied tags and properties. See Viewing dataset details for a complete list.
- Tagging data for improved search: Tags are filterable metatags that assist with the organization and discovery of data. Users associate tags that can be searched for quick access and identification of relevant data assets. See Tagging datasets for instructions on tagging your datasets.
- Data profile and sampling: Catalog profiles your datasets with statistics such as name, data type, and distinct values. Users select profile statistics of interest to uncover trends and anomalies in the data. See Profiling data for the list of available profile statistics.
- Dataset properties: Data governance standards vary widely across regions and industries. Most data processes are impacted in some way by the need to secure data by limiting access. User-configurable properties pertaining to regional and global data privacy and sensitivity standards and policies are provided to identify datasets with custom and sector-specific categories. See Configuring dataset properties to learn more.
- Create an app from your data: Qlik's data-first approach presents an option to upload data files and gain insight into your data before creating an app. This is a key element of the raw to analytics-ready workflow. See Creating an app from data to create an app from data or see Adding data from uploaded data files to upload data files to an existing app.