Deploying the Qlik Cloud tenant
An optional first step when migrating to Qlik Cloud is to deploy Qlik Cloud and publish documents from QlikView to Qlik Cloud for consumption.
Assuming that you already have a QlikView deployment, you now need to create and configure Qlik Cloud.
Create the tenant
If you do not already have a subscription for Qlik Cloud, contact Qlik.com | Contact sales and complete the application form. One of Qlik's Sales representatives from your region will contact you. Once your account is set up, you will receive an invitation email to create your tenant.
Once you receive your welcome email, you will need to log in to activate your account, and then create and configure your tenant.
Do the following:
- Click the Let's get started button in the email that you received from Qlik.
- On the Set up your account page, set a password in Create password. Check the box to indicate that you have read and accept the Qlik terms and conditions, and click Next.
On the Almost finished page, choose a Region and click Get started. You will be directed to the hub.Information noteSelecting the appropriate region to store your data will ensure optimal performance. The region will be part of your URL. The default Region is selected based on the region that is closest to your location.Information noteThere is a maximum number of tenants that you can create in a region. Contact Qlik Sales to manage your user account.
Configure the tenant
Define a tenant alias name
You can define an alias for a tenant giving users two options to navigate to the tenant. The original tenant name is assigned when the service account owner (SAO) sets up your account. An alias that might better represent your company can be configured or changed at any time.
- A tenant admin can update the Alias hostname then log in using the new alias.Information noteChanging the tenant alias will cause users who have bookmarked the original tenant alias to have to update their bookmarks. The new tenant alias must be communicated to users.
- A tenant admin can remove the Alias hostname.
- A tenant admin can update the Display name of their tenant.
To configure or change the tenant alias, complete the following steps:
- Log in to tenant using the original hostname.
- Go to the Management Console.
- Navigate to Configuration > Settings.
- Under Tenant enter the Alias hostname.
- Optionally, add a Display name.
- Navigate to hostname alias and log in to verify that tenant works with alias.
Create a new identity provider configuration
To simplify the migration, it's highly recommended to use your own identity IdP, and to create groups when configuring the IdP.
How to create a new identity provider configuration is described here: Creating a new identity provider configuration
When set up, try to create a space and assign groups as members.
Assign user entitlements
In the Management Console, under Settings > Entitlements, enable dynamic assignment of both Professional and Analyzer entitlements.
Set up an SMTP server
In the Management Console, under Settings > Email server, configure email support, see: Configuring email support.
Publishing documents from QlikView to Qlik Cloud
Publishing documents from your QlikView environment to the cloud is a good start to your Qlik Cloud journey, regardless of what your long-term plans look like. You can quickly get started working with apps and explore the new Qlik Cloud environment. However, the published documents are still QlikView documents and not truly migrated.
When you publish a QlikView document in Qlik Cloud, access and consumption of the document are handled in Qlik Cloud. Access is managed by the Qlik Cloud admin. Users can open sheets and make selections in objects but they cannot create new sheets or objects.
Migrated documents don't include any dependency on the corresponding document in QlikView. If and when you decide to migrate documents to Qlik Cloud, you will want to remove the published document from Qlik Cloud and work with the migrated apps instead. The removal is straightforward.