Filter pane properties
You open the properties panel for a visualization by clicking Edit sheet in the toolbar and clicking the visualization that you want to edit.
If the properties panel is hidden, click Show properties in the lower right-hand corner.
Click Add to add a dimension or create a dimension from a field. If the option is dimmed it is not available.
You can also click to create a dimension in the expression editor. Another way to create a dimension is to type the expression directly in the text box. Expressions added in this way must begin with an equals sign (=). Here is an example with a calculated dimension:
=If (Week < 14, Week, 'Sales')
If Add is dimmed, you cannot add more dimensions.
You can edit a dimension that is linked to a master item by updating the master item, or by unlinking the dimension from the master item and editing only this instance.
The following properties are available for dimensions:
- <Dimension name>: Click the dimension name to open the dimension settings. If you want to delete the dimension, right-click the dimension and select in the dialog. Alternatively, click the dimension and click .
- Dimension: Only displayed for master items. To edit only this instance of the dimension, click to unlink the dimension from the master item.
- Field: If you have added a field from Fields in the assets panel, the field name is automatically displayed. Click to open the expression editor.
- Title: Enter a title for the dimension. If you have added a field from Fields in the assets panel, the field name is automatically displayed.
Show frequency: You can show the frequency of each value. You can show it as an absolute number with Frequency count or a percentage with Relative frequency (%).
- Text alignment: When set to Custom, you can select how to display the content: Align left, Align center, or Align right. If Text alignment is set to Auto, the alignment is automatically aligned left or right, depending on the content.
- Master item: Create a master dimension based on the dimension expression by clicking Add new. If the dimension is already linked to a master item, click Edit to update the master item. All instances of the linked dimension will be updated.
You can drag the dimensions to set the order in which they are displayed in the visualization. Use the drag bars () to rearrange the order.
By default, the dimensions are sorted in the order they were added, with the most recently added dimension last. For filter panes, you change the sorting order of the dimensions under Dimensions in the Data section. Drag the dimensions to change the order. Under Sorting you can change the internal sorting of the dimensions.
Each dimension is sorted internally in the most common way for that type of data. Numbers are sorted numerically, ascending. Text is sorted alphabetically, ascending. If you want to change the internal sorting of a dimension, click the sorting button. The following list shows the internal sorting priority order and sorting options. The sorting is either Ascending or Descending.
- Sort by state: Sorts by selected, possible, and excluded selection states.
- Sort by expression: Enter an expression to sort by. Only available for dimensions.
- Sort by frequency: Only available for filter panes.
- Sort numerically
- Sort alphabetically
Additionally, you can sort by load order by switching to Custom and leaving all sorting options unselected.
If you have set a custom order for a field, that custom order will override any selected internal sort order in Sorting. For more information, see Customizing the order of dimension values.
Show titles: On by default in all visualizations except filter panes, KPIs, and text & image visualizations.
Enter Title, Subtitle, and Footnote. By default, the string is interpreted as a text string. However, you can also use the text field for an expression, or a combination of text and expression. An equals sign (=), at the beginning of a string shows that it contains an expression.
Click if you want to create an expression by using the expression editor.Information noteTitles are displayed on a single line. If you inject line breaks they will be ignored.
Assume that the following string is used, including quotation marks: 'Sales: ' & Sum(Sales).
By default, the string is interpreted as a text string and is displayed as presented in the example. But if you begin the string with an equals sign: (='Sales: ' & Sum(Sales)), the string is interpreted as an expression instead. The output is then Sales: <value of expression>, where <value of expression> is the calculated value.
Disable hover menu: Select to disable the hover menu in the visualization.
- Show details: Set to Show if you want to allow users to be able to choose to view details, such as descriptions, measures, and dimensions.
State: Set the state to apply to the visualization. You can select:
- Any alternate state defined in Master items.
- <inherited>, in which case the state defined for the sheet is used.
- <default state>, which represents the state where no alternate state is applied.
For more information about alternate states, see Using alternate states for comparative analysis.