Extending with custom visualization objects
Qlik Sense custom visualization extensions enable new ways of visualizing data and enhance user input and interaction. They are regular Qlik Sense objects that you have added your own rendering code to. They can be charts of different types, or other items like tables or filter panes. In QlikView, this type of extensions are referred to as Object Extensions.
They use the same set of technologies as standard Qlik Sense visualizations, and if developed properly, the handling of them is identical to standard visualizations. They can be:
- Added to a sheet using drag and drop
- Configured to use the same property panel as standard Qlik Sense visualizations, meaning that you can create visualization extensions on top of the data of a Qlik Sense app
- Resized, copied, pasted and positioned just like any other Qlik Sense visualization
- Added to and used in data storytelling
- Responsive and therefore work properly on any device
The Qlik associative engine also treats all visualizations the same and they all use the same interface which is documented in the Qlik Engine JSON API documentation.
- Extension API
- Backend API
- Capability APIs (parts)
In addition to the above, you can also use the Qlik Engine JSON API, which is a WebSocket protocol that uses JSON to pass information between the Qlik associative engine and the clients.
You can also use any external library of choice to create visualization extensions that suit your needs.
Build your first custom object with Dev Hub
Dev Hub is a development toolbox that helps you getting started building solutions with Qlik Sense as well as understanding the APIs.
Your Qlik Sense installation comes with a number of visualization extension examples which provide guidance for how to build your own visualization extensions.