The On-Demand reporting control adds a button to create Qlik NPrinting reports on demand. It is included in Dashboard bundle.
- Qlik NPrinting Server (June 2017 or later) with a Qlik NPrinting app that is connected to the Qlik Sense app that you are designing. This Qlik NPrinting app contains your report templates.
- Qlik Sense June 2019 or later.
- All users generating On-Demand reports need to be added as users in Qlik NPrinting, with a security role that supports running On-Demand reports.
Users must be logged into Qlik Sense via NTML (Windows) authentication in order to generate reports or create reporting buttons.
When to use it
The On-Demand reporting control is useful when you want the user to be able to print predefined Qlik NPrinting reports within Qlik Sense, using their selections in the app as a filter.
Installing the Dashboard bundle
You can install the Dashboard bundle when you install Qlik Sense.
You can add or remove object bundles from your Qlik Sense deployment at any moment. If you have a multi-node installation, object bundles are installed on the central node.
Do the following:
- In Control Panel, open Programs and Features.
- In the list of programs, double-click the object bundle that you want to modify.
- The Object Bundle Setup Wizard opens. Click Next.
- Select Change.
- On the Custom setup screen, click on the bundle icon to select how to modify the bundle installation:
- If the bundle is installed, select Entire feature will be unavailable to uninstall it.
- If the bundle is not installed, select Entire feature will be installed on local hard drive to install it.
Then, click Next.
- Click Change.
- When the setup modification is complete, a message invites you to manually restart the Qlik Sense Repository Service.
- Click Finish to close the Object Bundle Setup Wizard.
- Manually restart the Qlik Sense Repository Service to make the changes effective.
You can verify that the changes have been correctly applied by checking the Extensions section in the QMC.
Adding a server as a trusted origin
If you are creating On-Demand reports in Qlik Sense or a QlikView Web Server hosted QlikView AccessPoint, you must add these servers as a trusted origin in Qlik NPrinting web console.
For each server path used to access the Qlik NPrinting web console, you must add a trusted origin. For example, if your server can be accessed through a local domain, a shortened host, or fully qualified URLs, a trusted origin must be added for each of those server paths.
How you enter the server paths in the Address field of the trusted origin depends on your security configuration.
Configuration 1: SSL security not setup with Qlik NPrinting web console
A trusted origin is required for each server path used to log onto the Qlik NPrinting web console. For example, if your server is qlikserver1 and has an IP address of 192.168.0.101, you would add the following trusted origins:
Configuration 2: SSL security setup with Qlik NPrinting web console and third-party
A trusted origin is required for each server path used to log onto the Qlik NPrinting web console. URLs must use HTTPS. For example, if your server is qlikserver1 and has an IP address of 192.168.0.101, you would add the following trusted origins:
Adding a trusted origin
Do the following:
- In Qlik NPrinting, click Admin > Settings.
- Click On-Demand Settings.
- Click Add trusted origin.
- After Name, enter a name for the trusted origin.
- After Description, enter a description for the trusted origin.
After Address, enter the URL for the QlikView Server.
The URL must be the base URL (scheme and host) only. For example, http://qlikserver1 rather than http://qlikserver1/qlikview/index.htm.
- Click Create.
Configuring On-Demand settings on Qlik NPrinting Server
You must configure these settings on your Qlik NPrinting Server:
You must have a connection to a QlikView Server or a Qlik Sense server.
QlikView Server and QlikView Cluster connections are supported with On-Demand. Local connections are not supported. See: Creating connections.
- If you are connecting to a QlikView Server or Cluster with a QlikView Server Extranet License, the following options must be enabled when configuring the connection:
- Connection requires authentication
- Apply user section access for reports
- You must enable your Qlik NPrinting reports for On-Demand.
- You can limit On-Demand report creation through security roles. See: Role based security.
On-Demand is compatible with Chrome, Firefox, and Explorer. It will not run in Microsoft Edge, because the certificates will not download.
Enabling Qlik NPrinting reports for On-Demand creation
Qlik NPrinting reports must be manually enabled for On-Demand creation. Reports must be assigned to the QlikView document or Qlik Sense app with which you want to generate On-Demand reports. On-Demand creation can be enabled during the creation of a new report.
Do the following:
- In Qlik NPrinting web console, click Reports.
- Open a report or create a new report.
Select an app from the App drop-down list is connected to the QlikView document or Qlik Sense app for which you want to generate a report.Note: On-Demand requests only work with reports based on a single connection. MultiDoc reports are not supported.
- Select the Enable On-Demand check box.
- Click Save.
The report template is now available.
Creating an On-Demand reporting button
You can create an On-Demand reporting button on the sheet you are editing.
Do the following:
- From the assets panel, under Custom objects > Dashboard bundle drag On-demand reporting to the sheet.
In the property panel, under NPrinting Connection > NPrinting server URL, set the server connection. The URL must end with /.
For example: https://<server name>:4993/
- Under NPrinting App, select the Qlik NPrinting app that contains the report template.
Under NPrinting connection, select the Qlik NPrinting connection.
As the default, the list only shows Qlik NPrinting connections to the Qlik Sense app you are working in. You can use the App/Connection filter toggle to display connections not associated with the current Qlik Sense app.
- Under Report Configuration > Choose Report, select the report you want to connect to the button.
- In Default Export Format, select a default export format.
- Under Appearances > Button Label, set the button label. For example: Generate report.
You have now created an On-Demand reporting button.
Generating a report
You can generate a report that is filtered according to the current selections in the Qlik Sense app. You need to be in analysis mode.
Do the following:
Click on the button that you created.
The Export dialog opens.
- There are two buttons to choose from:
Quick Report: generates a single report with the default output format.
New Report: choose from a list of reports that have been made available to you. You can also choose the output format.
- When the report is generated a download button is activated. Click the Download button to download the report.
For information about general limitations, see Limitations.
- If the Qlik NPrinting report template contains a filter, it is not possible to make conflicting selections in the Qlik Sense app, or the report will fail.
When you use the On-Demand reporting control in a mashup, you need to use Windows authentication. Header authentication is not supported.
Additionally, if the mashup contains multiple apps, you can only use the app where on-demand originates from to filter on-demand reports.