You create visualizations by dragging the chosen type of visualization onto the sheet from the assets panel and configuring its properties settings. For instructions on creating specific types of visualizations, see that visualization type in Visualizations.
Do the following:
- Drag the visualization from the assets panel onto the sheet, or double-click the visualization.
Add dimensions and measures to the visualization.
You can add dimensions and measures using the buttons on the visualization. Or you can drag a field from the Fields tab of the assets panel, and then select it to use it as a dimension or measure. The number of dimensions and measures that are required depends on which visualization you select.
Adjust the presentation: for example: sorting, coloring, or labeling.
For more information, see Changing the appearance of a visualization.
Custom objects are added in a similar manner. You start creating a visualization by dragging a visualization extension onto the sheet. For more information, see Creating a visualization using a custom object.
You can use containers to save space on your dashboard, by quickly switching between tabs with different visualizations. For more information, see Container.
The types of data you have in your tables and fields impacts whether they can be used as dimensions or measures.
- Dimensions determine how the data in a visualization is grouped. For example: total sales per country or number of products per supplier. For more information, see Dimensions.
- Measures are calculations used in visualizations, typically represented on the y-axis of a bar chart or a column in a table. Measures are created from an expression composed of aggregation functions, such as Sum or Max, combined with one or several fields. For more information, see Measures.
Creating visualizations with assistance
Insight Advisor offers two methods for assisted visualization creation.
- You can use Insight Advisor search-based analysis to generate visualizations based on your searches or selections. You can then choose to add these visualizations to your sheets. For more information, see Creating visualizations with Insight Advisor.
- You can create visualizations using Insight Advisor chart suggestions by dragging a field onto the sheet from the assets panel and then dragging additional fields that you want in the visualization onto the first field. Qlik Sense then creates a suggested visualization based on the fields selected for the visualization. For more information, see Creating visualizations using Insight Advisor chart suggestions.