When you are working with an unpublished app, you can create master measures so that they can be reused. You can easily create a measure using one of the most common aggregation functions by selecting the function and the field from drop-down lists.
Do the following:
Click Edit sheet in the toolbar.
The assets panel opens on the left-hand side.
- Click to select the master items tab.
Click the Measures heading to expand that category.
Click Create new.
The Create new measure dialog opens.
Click 3 in the Expression field to open the Add expression dialog.
You find drop-down lists for selecting a field and a common function on the right-hand side.
- If you want to show fields from a particular table, select this table in the top drop-down list (optional).
- Select a field from the Field drop-down list.
Select a function from the bottom drop-down list.Tip: You can insert just a field by not selecting a function.
Click Insert to insert the field and the function into the expression editor.Tip: You can open the online help with the full description of how to use the current function by double-clicking the function name in the expression editor and pressing Ctrl+H on the keyboard. This feature becomes available after having entered the first parenthesis of the expression after the function name, and only when using a computer with a keyboard.
Click Apply to close the Add expression dialog.
Now you need to add some descriptive data for the measure.
Type a name for the measure.
Type a description for the measure (optional).
If you want to specify a color, click in the color drop down and select a color through one of the following methods:
- Click one of the colors in the palette.
- Type a 6 character color code in the Hex input field: #.
- Click at the bottom of the dialog, select a color in the color wheel, and optionally adjust the saturation slider.
Add tags (optional).
- Click Create.
The measure is now saved in the Measures category in the master items, and you can use it in visualizations.