Working in managed spaces
A managed space is a governed section of the cloud hub. You can find your managed spaces using the spaces drop-down under Explore.
Managed spaces can only be created by tenant administrators. Apps can be published to a managed space from personal spaces and shared spaces. Publishing creates a copy of the app in the managed space. Published apps maintain a relationship to the original app for republishing.
Managed spaces are restricted to members. Permissions are assigned to members when they are added to a managed space. Permissions define what members can access in a space. There are five permissions in managed spaces:
- Is owner: can manage the space and its members, as well as open apps in the space.
- Can manage: can manage the space and its members.
- Can publish: can publish apps to the space. They cannot open apps in the space.
- Can contribute: can view and open apps in the space. Contributors can create private content in the app and make that content public.
- Can view: can view and open apps in the space.
Members can have multiple permissions assigned to them. Apps in the space can only be opened by space members with Is owner, Can manage, Can contribute, or Can view permissions. For a detailed look at managed space permissions, see Managing permissions in managed spaces.
Apps published to a managed space keep the data loaded in the app, but do not include their data files or data connections. To keep data current, apps must be reloaded in their original space, and then republished to the managed space.
All actions in a managed space, such as opening an app, are logged in the management console.
Creating managed spaces
Managed spaces can be created by tenant administrators. Space owners can be changed in the management console by tenant administrators.
Space names must be unique.
Do the following:
- In the top menu, click Explore. Click the All drop-down and select Add a space.
- Select Managed space.
- Enter a name and description.
- Click Create.
Adding members to managed spaces
Members can be added to the space by the tenant administrator or members with Can manage permission. If your tenant administrator has enabled groups, you can also add groups of members to your space.
Do the following:
In the space, click the Settings icon and then Manage members.
- Search for members by name and select the members you want to add to the space.
- Select permissions for new members and click Add.
- Click Done.
Deleting managed spaces
You can delete a space. Only the tenant administrator or a user with Can manage permission can delete a space.
In the space, click the Settings icon and then the Edit spaces icon.
- Click Delete.
- Click Delete.
Developing and publishing apps for managed spaces
This is a sample workflow for using managed spaces.
- Create an app with mock data
App developers create an app using mock data, either in a personal space or in a shared space. They add data sources and create a data model.
- Create a managed space
The tenant administrator creates a managed space.
- Add administrators to the managed space
The tenant administrator adds members with Can manage to the space. The tenant administrator transfers ownership of the space to an administrator who should have access to all the apps in the space.
- Add publishers to the space
The space owner or members with Can manage administrator can add members with Can publish to the space. If members need access to the space, additional permissions can be granted.
- Publish the app to the managed space
Once the app is ready for consumption, members with Can publish can publish their apps to the managed space.
- Add viewers and contributors to the managed space
The space owner and Can manage members can add the space's target audience with Can view or Can contribute permissions.
- Create a reload schedule for the app
The space owner can schedule reloads for the app in the managed space if it uses space-aware data.
- Publish updates to the app
As updates are made to the app or data in the app, publishers can republish the updated app to the managed space.
- Retire an app from the managed spaces
When the app is no longer required, administrators can delete it from the managed space.
- Retire the space
When the space is no longer required, you can delete it from the cloud hub.