Before you install, change or upgrade your Qlik Sense installation, you must choose or create an administrator or non-administrator account to run the Qlik Sense services. For example, your company policy may require you to run the Qlik Sense services as a user without administrator privileges.
Using an account without administrator privileges to run the Qlik Sense services during the installation of a node
To install a rim node in this way you need to run an additional bootstrap command from an elevated command prompt to register the rim node on the central node.
To install a node:
- Log in to the computer where you plan to install Qlik Sense as an administrator.
See: User accounts
Download the Qlik_Sense_setup.exe file.
- On the Create or join a cluster screen, select Join cluster.
- On the Shared persistence database connections settings screen, ensure that you specify the correct hostname and password to the repository database that you want to connect to.
- On the Service Credentials screen, enter your non-administrator user account, user name, and password. For example, enter your user name as follows: .\senseserviceuser or domain\senseserviceuser.
On the final screen of the installation program, you do not have the option to start the Qlik Sense services, instead the following message is displayed: The service user does not have administrator privileges. See the documentation for more information.
Next, run the bootstrap command in an elevated command prompt while registering the rim node with a certificate.
To run the bootstrap command:
On the rim node, open an elevated command prompt window. The bootstrap command elevates your rights enabling you to perform tasks that require an administrator, such as installing certificates and adding performance counters.
- In the command prompt, navigate to the installed location: Program Files\Qlik\Sense\Repository and run the Repository.exe -bootstrap command. The Qlik Sense Service Dispatcher must be running before the Repository.exe -bootstrap is executed. While the bootstrap is running, in the QMC on the central node, register the rim node with a certificate that is generated.
For more information, in Services, see the Repository service.
On the central node, register the rim node in the QMC, see: Connecting and configuring the nodes. After you have registered the rim node the bootstrap process will terminate.
- Exit the command prompt.
In Windows, Services, start all Qlik Sense services. You must start the Qlik Sense Service Dispatcher (QSD) before starting the Qlik Sense Repository Service (QRS).
Changing the user account type to run the Qlik Sense services on an existing site
Follow the instructions in this section if you used an administrator user account when installing Qlik Sense, and later wish to change to use an account without administrator privileges to run the Qlik Sense services.
Do the following:
- In Windows, either create a new or use an existing domain or local user account to run the Qlik Sense services.
If the service account user does not have administrator privileges, you must add the user to the following groups in Computer Management > System Tools > Local Users and Groups > Groups.
Qlik Sense Service Users
Performance Monitor Users
The service account user also needs access to shared folders.
- Open the Control Panel and then select System and Security>Administrative Tools>Services.
- Stop all services except the Repository Database.
- Assign Full control permission for the dedicated service account to the folder %ProgramData%\Qlik\Sense.
- As an administrator, open an elevated command prompt.
Navigate to the Program Files\Qlik\Sense\Proxy folder and run Proxy.exe -bootstrap.
Navigate to the Program Files\Qlik\Sense\Scheduler folder and run Scheduler.exe -bootstrap.
Navigate to the Program Files\Qlik\Sense\Repository folder and run Repository.exe -bootstrap.
If you are changing the user account on your primary or central node, run Repository.exe -bootstrap -iscentral. The Qlik Sense Service Dispatcher must be running before the Repository.exe -bootstrap is executed.
- Close the elevated command prompt.
- Change the log on credentials for each of the Qlik Sense services as follows:
Information noteIf you are using a user account with administrative privileges, keep the Qlik Sense Repository Database running under the Local System account. Do not change the account.Information noteDepending on your setup some of the services may not be available.
- Right-click the service and select Properties.
- Select the Log On tab and then This account.
- Enter the credentials for the dedicated service account and click OK.
- Start the Qlik Sense Service Dispatcher, and then the Qlik Sense Repository Service (QRS).
- Start the rest of the Qlik Sense services.
For additional support on changing the Qlik Sense Service account or troubleshooting installation issues, see Changing the Qlik Sense Service Account and what to consider and Interactive Logon Rights for Qlik Sense installation.
Changing the Qlik Sense services account password
In some situations, you may be required to change your service account password that is used to run your Qlik Sense services. For example, if the company password policy requires that you change the password at a set interval, or you want to change your password for security reasons. To prevent issues with the QMC, you must change the service account password and update the monitoring data connections. First, change your service account password.
Do the following:
Change your service account password.
Open the Windows Services app.
For each Qlik service, right-click, then select Properties.
On the Log On tab, update the password.
Once the password is updated on each service, restart the service.
Next, update the monitoring data connections in the QMC.
Do the following:
Open the QMC.
Click Data connections.
For each monitoring_apps_* data connection, click Edit, then update the password.
Your Qlik Sense services account password is now updated.