You can upgrade from Qlik Sense 3.1 SR2 or later to Qlik Sense June 2017 or later using the Qlik Sense setup program. When upgrading, the previous version is completely replaced by the new version.
To upgrade from Qlik Sense 3.1 SR2 or later with a shared persistence model to Qlik Sense June 2017 or later, see Upgrading from Qlik Sense 3.1 SR2 or later to Qlik Sense June 2017 or later.
Qlik Sense June 2017 and later versions do not support the synchronized persistence model. To upgrade from Qlik Sense 3.1 SR2 or later to Qlik Sense June 2017 or later and migrate from a synchronized persistence model to a shared persistence model, see Upgrading and migrating from synchronized to shared persistence.
Upgrading from any version of Qlik Sense earlier than 3.1 SR2 to Qlik Sense June 2017 or later cannot be done using the setup program. To upgrade from earlier versions of Qlik Sense with a synchronized persistence model to Qlik Sense June 2017 or later, see Upgrading to Qlik Sense June 2017 or later from Qlik Sense versions earlier than 3.1 SR2.
Qlik Sense apps
When you upgrade Qlik Sense, all existing apps need to be migrated to ensure compatibility between the versions. App migration is not performed automatically when starting Qlik Sense. An app with an engine version later than 12.0 is migrated on the fly when you open it in the hub. On the apps overview page in the QMC you can see if there are apps that require manual migration. The text Migration needed is displayed in the Migration column for apps that need to be migrated. The Migration column is not displayed by default. Use the column selector to display the field. Use the Migrate button to perform manual migration.
In a multi-node deployment, all nodes must run the same version of Qlik Sense to be able to communicate with each other. It is recommended to upgrade with all nodes offline, and to start with the central node.
Qlik Sense Repository Database
Qlik Sense June 2017 and later versions use PostgreSQL version 9.6 for the Qlik Sense Repository Database. If you upgrade in place without uninstalling Qlik Sense the Qlik Sense Repository Database is upgraded to PostgreSQL version 9.6 and your data, and standard settings are carried forward. If you have made custom configurations to your PostgreSQL installation, those must be recreated in the PostgreSQL after upgrade.
PostgreSQL version 9.6 is installed with the latest version of Qlik Sense. If you have uninstalled Qlik Sense but maintained your PostgreSQL database, and you want to upgrade your Qlik Sense deployment, you must create a database dump file and restore the PostgreSQL database manually. You will also need to manually reconfigure any custom parameters.
The PostgreSQL installation included in the Qlik Sense June 2017 or later setup does not include pgAdmin tools. For information about manually installing the PostgreSQL database, see Installing and configuring PostgreSQL.
Upgrading Qlik Sense
Before you upgrade Qlik Sense, do the following:
- Review System requirements for Qlik Sense Enterprise.
Download the Qlik_Sense_setup.exe file.
- Make sure you have logged on as an administrator using an account that has an actual password defined, that is, not a blank password.
- If you are running the Qlik Sense services with a LocalSystem account then you must change to a service user account before begining the upgrade.
See: Upgrading from Qlik Sense 3.1 SR2 or later to Qlik Sense June 2017 or later
- Create a backup of your Qlik Sense deployment before upgrading. See, Backup and restore Qlik Sense Enterprise on Windows.
- Optionally, remove the Root certificate from the Central node and all certificates from the non-central nodes.
Do the following:
- Stop your Qlik Sense services on all nodes in the deployment.
- Upgrade your central node by launching the Qlik Sense setup file (Qlik_Sense_setup.exe) as an administrator.
If an unsupported Qlik Sense root certificate is detected on the central node, the root certificate must be removed as part of the upgrade. You cannot proceed with the upgrade if you do not select to remove the root certificate.
Select Remove certificate(s) and click Next.Warning noteSelecting Remove certificate(s) and clicking Next will delete the Qlik Sense root certificate from this node. The certificate is automatically recreated after the upgrade.
Make sure that you have backed up your Qlik Sense deployment before you continue
- Select Upgrade to upgrade your existing shared persistence deployment.
- Accept the license agreement and click Next.
On the Service Credentials page, enter the Username and Password for your Windows Qlik Sense service user account.
If the user is member of a domain, enter the service account as <domain>\<username>. For more information, see User accounts.
- On the Ready to upgrade page, select the appropriate check boxes if you want the setup to create desktop shortcuts and automatically start the Qlik Sense services when the setup is complete, and click Upgrade.
- Check that all of the Qlik Sense services have started successfully.
Check the Apps overview page in the Qlik Management Console. The text Migration needed is displayed in the Migration column for apps that require migration, see Migrating apps.
Upgrade the remaining nodes by following the applicable steps above for all nodes in the Qlik Sense cluster.
If an unsupported Qlik Sense root certificate is detected on non-central node, all Qlik Sense certificates must be removed as part of the upgrade.Warning noteSelecting Remove certificate(s) and clicking Next will delete all Qlik Sense certificates from this node. The certificates must be manually redistributed as described in the next step.
Make sure that you have already upgraded the Central node.
If you removed the Qlik Sense certificates as described in the previous step, perform one of the following two steps depending on your setup.
Account running the Qlik Sense services has administrator privileges:
Open the Qlik Management Console (QMC) and redistribute the certificates according to Redistributing a certificate.
- Restart all the services on the node and make sure they are using the newly distributed certificates.
Account running the Qlik Sense service does not have administrator privileges:
- In the command prompt, navigate to the install location, for example Program Files\Qlik\Sense\Repository, and run Repository.exe -bootstrap.
- When the Waiting for certificates to be installed.. message is displayed, redistribute the certificates according to Redistributing a certificate.
- Once the bootstrap mode has terminated, start the Qlik Sense Service Dispatcher, then start the Qlik Sense Repository Service (QRS), and finally the remaining Qlik Sense services.