Creating a file share or shared folder is a prerequisite before you install Qlik Sense. The file share is used to store all the Qlik application data and must be accessible to all nodes in your Qlik Sense site. You can create a file share either on the same server as the central node or on a separate server. If you have a large multi-node site we recommend that you configure the file share on a dedicated server for better resilience and performance.
If you create the file share on a separate server then you can follow the same steps as for a central node but you must ensure that the same Windows domain user that you use to run the Qlik services has read and write access to the file share folder.
To create a file share and share the folder with specific users:
- Create a local folder on your server computer. For example, create a folder called QlikShare on the C:\ drive.
- Right click the folder, and then click Properties.
- Click the Sharing tab, and then click Share.
- Enter the name of your Windows user, and click Add.
- In the Permission level column, select Read/Write, then click Share.
Ensure that permissions on the folder, subfolders, and files are set to full control for the user account you selected.
Do the following:
- Click the Security tab.
- Select the user account you want to use for the installation.
- Click Advanced and verify that your current user has full control, and that this permission applies to the folder, subfolders, and files.
- Click the Effective Access tab, then click Select a user and enter your user account name.
- Click View effective access, then check the Permission column that your user has full control.
You can host an NFS file share on a Microsoft Windows Server and map it to your Qlik Sense Enterprise on Windows installation. Before you create an NFS file share, you must first enable the Server for NFS feature on the Windows server.
To enable Server for NFS, do the following:
- Open the Windows Server Manager.
- Click Manage.
- Click Add Roles and Features.
In the Add Roles and Features Wizard, select the following:
Configuration setting Instruction Installation Type Select Role-based or feature-based installation Server Selection Use the pre-selected server. Server Roles Under Files And Storage Services > File and iSCSI Services, select Server for NFS. Features Ensure that Client for NFS is selected. Confirmation Click Install. Results Verify the install is successful. You will need to restart the server.
To create a NFS file share, do the following:
- Create a new folder on your Windows Server.
- Right-click the folder, then click Properties.
- Under the NFS Sharing tab, select Share this folder.
- Enter a Share name.
- Click Permissions.
- Click Add to add IP addresses or host names that can connect to the NFS file share, and set their Type of access as needed. Click OK
- Click Apply, then OK.