You can upgrade from Qlik Sense 3.1 SR2 or later to Qlik Sense June 2017 or later using the Qlik Sense setup program. When upgrading, the previous version is completely replaced by the new version.
To upgrade from Qlik Sense 3.1 SR2 or later with a shared persistence model to Qlik Sense June 2017 or later, see Upgrading from Qlik Sense 3.1 SR2 or later to Qlik Sense June 2017 or later.
Qlik Sense June 2017 and later versions do not support the synchronized persistence model. To upgrade from Qlik Sense 3.1 SR2 or later to Qlik Sense June 2017 or later and migrate from a synchronized persistence model to a shared persistence model, see Upgrading and migrating from synchronized to shared persistence.
Upgrading from any version of Qlik Sense earlier than 3.1 SR2 to Qlik Sense June 2017 or later cannot be done using the setup program. To upgrade from earlier versions of Qlik Sense with a synchronized persistence model to Qlik Sense June 2017 or later, see Upgrading to Qlik Sense June 2017 or later from Qlik Sense versions earlier than 3.1 SR2.
Qlik Sense apps
When you upgrade Qlik Sense, all existing apps need to be migrated to ensure compatibility between the versions. App migration is not performed automatically when starting Qlik Sense. An app with an engine version later than 12.0 is migrated on the fly when you open it in the hub. Earlier apps will require manual migration and the text Migration needed will be displayed in the app version column in the QMC, on the apps overview page. Use the Migrate button to perform manual migration.
In a multi-node deployment, all nodes must run the same version of Qlik Sense to be able to communicate with each other. It is recommended to upgrade with all nodes offline, and to start with the central node.
Qlik Sense Repository Database
Qlik Sense June 2017 and later versions use PostgreSQL version 9.6 for the Qlik Sense Repository Database. If you upgrade in place without uninstalling Qlik Sense the Qlik Sense Repository Database is upgraded to PostgreSQL version 9.6 and your data, and standard settings are carried forward. If you have made custom configurations to your PostgreSQL installation, those must be recreated in the PostgreSQL after upgrade.
PostgreSQL version 9.6 is installed with the latest version of Qlik Sense. If you have uninstalled Qlik Sense but maintained your PostgreSQL database, and you want to upgrade your Qlik Sense deployment, you must create a database dump file and restore the PostgreSQL database manually. You will also need to manually reconfigure any custom parameters.
The PostgreSQL installation included in the Qlik Sense June 2017 or later setup does not include pgAdmin tools. For information about manually installing the PostgreSQL database, see Installing and configuring PostgreSQL.
Before you upgrade Qlik Sense, do the following:
- Review System requirements for Qlik Sense Enterprise on Windows.
- Download the Qlik_Sense_setup.exe file.
- Make sure you have logged on as an administrator using an account that has an actual password defined, that is, not a blank password.
- If you are running the Qlik Sense services with a LocalSystem account then you must change to a service user account before begining the upgrade.
See: Upgrading from Qlik Sense 3.1 SR2 or later to Qlik Sense June 2017 or later
- Create a backup of your Qlik Sense deployment before upgrading.
Do the following:
- Stop your Qlik Sense services.
- Upgrade your central node by launching the Qlik Sense setup file (Qlik_Sense_setup.exe).
- Select Upgrade to upgrade your existing shared persistence deployment.
- Accept the license agreement and click Next.
On the Service Credentials page, enter the Username and Password for your Windows Qlik Sense service user account.
If the user is member of a domain, enter the service account as <domain>\<username>. For more information, see User accounts.
- On the Ready to upgrade page, select the appropriate check boxes if you want the setup to create desktop shortcuts and automatically start the Qlik Sense services when the setup is complete, and click Upgrade.
- Check that all of the Qlik Sense services have started successfully.
Check the Apps overview page in the Qlik Management Console. The text Migration needed is displayed in the Version column for apps that require migration, see Migrating apps.
- Deploy the Qlik Sense upgrade with shared persistence on the remaining nodes.