An identity provider (IdP) manages identity information for users and provides authentication services. The identity provider enables single sign-on (SSO) so that you can access other websites, without having to log in repeatedly. In contrast to on-premise technologies, such as Active Directory and LDAP, identity providers also offer a consistent and governed experience when accessing cloud services, eliminating the need to create accounts for each new service.
In Qlik Sense Enterprise SaaS, Qlik Sense Enterprise on Kubernetes, or in a multi-cloud deployment, an IdP delivers the following:
- Secure authentication of a user and a common identity (user ID and groups) passed between all deployments.
- Common user identity to assign a license to (to avoid double use).
- Common user ID and attributes, such as groups, to use when applying access control to content.
Both Qlik Sense Enterprise SaaS and Qlik Sense Enterprise on Kubernetes integrate with an IdP using the OpenID Connect (OIDC) standard. This is a standard that allows both interactive login, where a user logs in via a browser, and automated login, using APIs via a software product.
Qlik Sense Enterprise on Windows currently does not support OIDC, but supports SAML, or any method that allows a consistent user identity to the one provided by the IdP.
The following is required from the IdP to be able to set up Qlik Sense Enterprise on Kubernetes to use it:
- discoveryUrl: the OpenID Connect Discovery URL which allows applications, such as Qlik Sense, to use the IdP with minimal configuration.
- clientId: uniquely identifies the client from the IdP.
- clientSecret: the secret that the client uses along with the client ID to authentication with the IdP.
- realm: the name to associate with the IdP.
- hostname: the hostname that is used for the deployment of Qlik Sense Enterprise on Kubernetes.
These values are added to the values.yaml file under the identity-providers section when installing Qlik Sense Enterprise on Kubernetes.
Step-by-step examples of this configuration are provided for the following IdP vendors: