Before you upgrade, if your Qlik Sense 3.1 SR2 or later installation is running services using a Local System account, you need to change this to use a service user account (local or domain) before upgrading to Qlik Sense June 2017 or later. If you continue to use a Local System account to run the services when upgrading you will get an error.
Changing the user account type to run the Qlik Sense services on a central node
Do the following:
- In Windows, either create a new or use an existing domain or local user account to run the Qlik Sense services.
If the service account user does not have administrator privileges, you must add the user to the following groups in Computer Management > System Tools > Local Users and Groups > Groups.
Qlik Sense Service Users
Performance Monitor Users
The service account user also needs access to shared folders.
- Open the Control Panel and then select System and Security>Administrative Tools>Services.
- Stop all services except the Repository Database.
- Assign Full control permission for the dedicated service account to the folder %ProgramData%\Qlik\Sense.
- As an administrator, open an elevated command prompt.
Navigate to the Program Files\Qlik\Sense\Proxy folder and run Proxy.exe -bootstrap.
Navigate to the Program Files\Qlik\Sense\Scheduler folder and run Scheduler.exe -bootstrap.
Navigate to the Program Files\Qlik\Sense\Repository folder and run Repository.exe -bootstrap.
If you are changing the user account on your primary or central node, run Repository.exe -bootstrap -iscentral. The Qlik Sense Service Dispatcher must be running before the Repository.exe -bootstrap is executed.
- Close the elevated command prompt.
- Change the log on credentials for each of the Qlik Sense services as follows:
Information noteIf you are using a user account with administrative privileges, keep the Qlik Sense Repository Database running under the Local System account. Do not change the account.Information noteDepending on your setup some of the services may not be available.
- Right-click the service and select Properties.
- Select the Log On tab and then This account.
- Enter the credentials for the dedicated service account and click OK.
- Start the Qlik Sense Service Dispatcher, and then the Qlik Sense Repository Service (QRS).
- Start the rest of the Qlik Sense services.
For additional support on changing the Qlik Sense Service account or troubleshooting installation issues, see Changing the Qlik Sense Service Account and what to consider and Interactive Logon Rights for Qlik Sense installation.
Upgrading from Qlik Sense 3.1 SR2 or later with a shared persistence model to Qlik Sense June 2017 or later
Do the following:
- Stop your Qlik Sense services on all nodes in the deployment.
- Upgrade your central node by launching the Qlik Sense setup file (Qlik_Sense_setup.exe) as an administrator.
If an unsupported Qlik Sense root certificate is detected on the central node, the root certificate must be removed as part of the upgrade. You cannot proceed with the upgrade if you do not select to remove the root certificate.
Select Remove certificate(s) and click Next.Warning noteSelecting Remove certificate(s) and clicking Next will delete the Qlik Sense root certificate from this node. The certificate is automatically recreated after the upgrade.
Make sure that you have backed up your Qlik Sense deployment before you continue
- Select Upgrade to upgrade your existing shared persistence deployment.
- Accept the license agreement and click Next.
On the Service Credentials page, enter the Username and Password for your Windows Qlik Sense service user account.
If the user is member of a domain, enter the service account as <domain>\<username>. For more information, see User accounts.
- On the Ready to upgrade page, select the appropriate check boxes if you want the setup to create desktop shortcuts and automatically start the Qlik Sense services when the setup is complete, and click Upgrade.
- Check that all of the Qlik Sense services have started successfully.
Check the Apps overview page in the Qlik Management Console. The text Migration needed is displayed in the Migration column for apps that require migration, see Migrating apps.
Upgrade the remaining nodes by following the applicable steps above for all nodes in the Qlik Sense cluster.
If an unsupported Qlik Sense root certificate is detected on non-central node, all Qlik Sense certificates must be removed as part of the upgrade.Warning noteSelecting Remove certificate(s) and clicking Next will delete all Qlik Sense certificates from this node. The certificates must be manually redistributed as described in the next step.
Make sure that you have already upgraded the Central node.
If you removed the Qlik Sense certificates as described in the previous step, perform one of the following two steps depending on your setup.
Account running the Qlik Sense services has administrator privileges:
Open the Qlik Management Console (QMC) and redistribute the certificates according to Redistributing a certificate.
- Restart all the services on the node and make sure they are using the newly distributed certificates.
Account running the Qlik Sense service does not have administrator privileges:
- In the command prompt, navigate to the install location, for example Program Files\Qlik\Sense\Repository, and run Repository.exe -bootstrap.
- When the Waiting for certificates to be installed.. message is displayed, redistribute the certificates according to Redistributing a certificate.
- Once the bootstrap mode has terminated, start the Qlik Sense Service Dispatcher, then start the Qlik Sense Repository Service (QRS), and finally the remaining Qlik Sense services.