You can upgrade and migrate from synchronized persistence to shared persistence if the existing deployment is running Qlik Sense version 3.1 SR2 or later. For more information about persistence models, see Persistence.
The files that are persisted in a Qlik Sense deployment must be available to all nodes via the file share. They can be stored on any of the nodes in the cluster, or on another server. If you are migrating from a synchronized persistence deployment to a shared persistence deployment, you must first create the file share to use as shared storage, and copy your data from the synchronized persistence deployment into the file share folders. For instructions on how to create a file share, see Creating a file share.
Before you upgrade Qlik Sense, do the following:
- Review System requirements for Qlik Sense Enterprise.
Download the Qlik_Sense_setup.exe file.
- Create a backup of your Qlik Sense deployment before upgrading.
The cleanup script can also be run after upgrading to Qlik Sense Enterprise 2.2 or 3.x, and for versions June 2017 and newer if the script was not run before upgrading, when the Qlik Sense Repository Service cannot start due to database query timeouts or other database issues..
Backing up a synchronized persistence site
Proceed as follows to backup a Qlik Sense site deployed with the synchronized persistence model:
- Make a backup of the certificates used to secure the Qlik Sense services. This only needs to be done once.
- Stop all Qlik Sense services except the Qlik Sense Repository Database (QRD).
- Make a backup of the repository database.
Open a Command Prompt with administrator privileges in Microsoft Windows.
- Produce a dumpfile for the repository database (that is, a single file for the entire database):
Navigate to the installation location.
- pg_dump.exe -h localhost -p 4432 -U postgres -b -F t -f "c:\QSR_backup.tar" QSR
If you are prompted for the PostgreSQL super user password, enter the password that was given during the installation of Qlik Sense.Tip noteTo avoid being prompted for the password (for example, if you want to automate the Qlik Sense backup process), you can use the pgpass functionality in PostgreSQL. See the PostgreSQL documentation for more information.
- Make a backup of the dumpfile for the repository database.
- Make a backup of log and application data in the following folders:
- %ProgramData%\Qlik\Sense\Repository\AppContent (if available)
- %ProgramData%\Qlik\Sense\Repository\SharedContent (if available)
- Qlik Sense Service Dispatcher(QSD)
Qlik Sense Repository Service (QRS)
If the user running Qlik Sense services is not local administrator on the machine, you need to start Repository.exe from an elevated command prompt using the -bootstrap parameter.
- Qlik Sense Proxy Service (QPS), Qlik Sense Engine Service (QES), Qlik Sense Scheduler Service (QSS), and Qlik Sense Printing Service (QPR) in no specific order
The start-up order is important. During start-up the QRS must be able to contact the Qlik License Service, which is managed by the QSD. The other services are dependent on the QRS. The QSD must therefore be running when the QRS is started.
Upgrading to a shared persistence deployment
Do the following:
- Create a file share, see Creating a file share.
Create the following sub-folders in the file share:
- Ensure that all Qlik Sense nodes are synchronized, and take all nodes offline by stopping the Qlik Sense services in Windows.
Copy following content from your synchronized persistence deployment to the file share:
Content to copy Content Copy from To subfolder Apps ..\ProgramData\Qlik\Sense\Apps Apps Logs (optional) ..\ProgramData\Qlik\Sense\Repository\Archived Logs ArchivedLogs Static content
..\ProgramData\Qlik\Sense\Repository\SharedContentInformation noteEach of these folders must be added as a sub-folder of the StaticContent folder.
- Upgrade your central node by launching the Qlik Sense setup file (Qlik_Sense_setup.exe).
- Accept the license agreement and click Next.
- On the Shared persistence storage page, enter the path or URL to your file share folders that you prepared and click Next.
- On the Database service listener page, if you have a multi-node deployment, enter the following:
Listen addresses - add the addresses that the database service should listen to.
You can enter a comma-separated list of IPv4 or IPv6 addresses, or 0.0.0.0 (for all IPv4 addresses), ::/0 (for all IPv6 addresses) or * (for all addresses).
IP ranges - add a subnet specification that covers the IP addresses of all nodes in your site.
Either add one row for each node, using /32 as suffix for each address, or add a subnet that covers all addresses using, for example, /24 as suffix. To allow all servers to access the repository database, use 0.0.0.0/0. You can also enter a comma separated list of multiple IP addresses.
- Max connections - specify the maximum number of concurrent connections to the database. The default value is 100 multiplied by the number of nodes in the cluster (this field is only available in Qlik Sense February 2018, and later).
- On the Service Credentials page, enter the Username , and Password for your WindowsQlik Sense service user account.
If the user is member of a domain, enter the service account as <domain>\<username>. See: User accounts.
- On the Repository Database Superuser Password page, enter the password for your repository database superuser. See: User accounts.
If you cannot find the password, see the troubleshooting topic: Cannot find the repository database superuser password
- On the Ready to upgrade page, select the appropriate check boxes if you want the setup to create desktop shortcuts and automatically start the Qlik Sense services when the setup is complete, and click Upgrade.
- Check that all of the Qlik Sense services have started successfully.
Check the Apps overview page in the Qlik Management Console. The text Migration needed is displayed in the Migration column for apps that require migration, see Migrating apps.
In a multi-node deployment, uninstall Qlik Sense on each of the rim nodes. Select the option to remove certificates and data folders when you uninstall on the rim nodes.
- Install Qlik Sense with shared persistence on the remaining nodes, and join the existing cluster created when you upgraded the central node.