In the Log Viewer window, you can view the logs for the task you are currently monitoring , manually roll them over if necessary, and download them.
Follow the steps below to view or download the task log files.
To open the Log Viewer window:
Open the task whose log files you want to view or download.
For information on opening a task, see Editing a replication task.
- Switch to Monitor view.
Either, click the Tools toolbar button and then select View Logs.
Click the View Logs button in the Messages pane in the lower right of the console.
The Log Viewer window opens.
- Select the log file you want to view or download from the list in the Log Files pane. If you want to download the file, skip to Step 8.
- The contents of the log file will be displayed in the right pane. When you select a row in the log file, a tooltip will be display the full message of the selected row.
- You can browse through the log file using the scroll bar on the right and the navigation buttons at the top of the window.
To search for a specific string in the log file, enter the search string in the search box at the top of the window.
Any terms that match the specified string will be highlighted blue.
Depending on your browser settings, one of the following will occur:
- The task JSON file will be automatically downloaded to the default download location
- You will be prompted for a download location. In this case, save the JSON file to your preferred location.
You can manually roll the log file for the task you are monitoring in the Log Viewer. This lets you stop logging to the current log file and begin to log to a new log file. The current log file is called reptask_<name of task> and saved (older) log files have the file name reptask_<name of task>_xxxxxxxxxxxx where xxxxxxxxxxxx represents a 12-digit timestamp.
To immediately roll over the selected log file, click the Roll Log File button in the top right of the window.