When you upgrade your QlikView deployment on the same machine, you upgrade each server independently. If you have multiple servers, repeat these instructions for each server. Before you begin, plan your upgrade to maximize deployment up-time.
Follow this procedure to maximize system up-time for end users:
Before you begin, make sure you back up your QlikView deployment.
- Stop the QlikView Management Service (QMS). When you do this, the QlikView Management Console becomes unavailable.
- Upgrade the QlikView services in the following order (let the installer restart the services):
- QlikView Web Server (QVWS)
- Directory Service Connector (DSC)
- QlikView Server (QVS)
- QlikView Distribution Service (QDS)
- QlikView Management Service (QMS)
- Start the QMS, so that the QlikView Management Console becomes available again.
Upgrading a single-node deployment
To upgrade QlikView Server on a single-server site:
Before you begin, make sure you back up your QlikView site.
- If your installation uses digital certificates for authentication, create a backup of the certificates. Certificates are updated automatically when you upgrade a QlikView Server installation on the same machine. However, we recommend that you create a backup of your certificates anyway. See: Backing up and restoring certificates.
Download the latest version of QlikView Server from the Qlik Download Site.
For more information, see Downloading installation files.
- Stop the QlikView services. During the upgrade process all the services are stopped and restarted automatically, but we still recommend that you stop all services before upgrading. To avoid interrupting running tasks, shut down only the QlikView Distribution Service (QDS) by performing a graceful shutdown right before the upgrade procedure. For more information on graceful shutdown, see: Shutting down a QlikView Distribution Service.
Run the installation program as an administrator, and follow the on screen instructions. For a step-by-step description of the install procedure, see: Installing QlikView Server.
- During the installation, select a service authentication method. Choose either Use digital certificates or Use QlikView Administrators Group. If you previously used digital certificates then you should also choose this option when you upgrade.
- Restart your machine once the installation process has finished to ensure that all services start up correctly.
- Open QlikView Management Console and apply your license information for QlikView Server, and QlikView Publisher.
- Restart the server to apply the license information.
Upgrading a multi-server deployment
To upgrade a multi-server site:
- Stop all services on each machine before you perform the upgrade.
- If your installation uses digital certificates for authentication, create a backup of the certificates stored on the machine running the QlikView Management Service. Certificates are updated automatically when you upgrade QlikView Server on the same machine. However, we recommend that you create a backup of your certificates anyway. See: Backing up and restoring certificates.
- Perform the upgrade procedure on each machine of the multi-server setup.
- If digital certificates are used, install the new certificates on all machines running QlikView services except for the machine running the QlikView Management Service (QMS). For a detailed description of this procedure, see: Updating certificates.