There are several things you can do to troubleshoot and resolve problems before logging a case with product support. The guidance here is designed to help you understand the problem, and learn where to look for possible errors and potential solutions.
Before you call support:
- Understand the problem
- Use the log files
- Study the Qlik NPrinting help
- Read the troubleshooting topics in this section.
If you cannot find a solution in the product help, then follow the general guidance in this topic.
Understanding the problem may help you to find a solution, and will enable you to provide Qlik support with the information needed to process your case more effectively. Ensure that you understand the problem and can describe it as fully as possible before seeking further support:
|Questions to ask||Answers|
|Who experienced the problem?||What type of users were affected and how many?
This can help you to determine if it is a global issue, a configuration problem, a component problem, or due to user configuration.
|What happened after an action was performed?||
Pay attention to any symptoms, behavior, and error messages.
This can help you to identify which component is causing the error, and which log files to use.
|When did the problem first occur?||When is it triggered, and what user action or system action causes it?
For example, a scheduled Qlik NPrinting task fails, an error is thrown when attempting to edit a template, or document metadata is not generated.
|Have you experienced this issue before?||If yes, how often has the problem occurred?|
|Where did the problem occur first?||Describe where in the system or environment the problem appears?
For example, in the Qlik NPrinting Designer frontend, or in the backend (scheduler or engine).
|Why do you think it happened?||Gather the relevant log files. Compare log files that include the problem with those that do not.
For example, compare a successful, and unsuccessful task execution of the same report. For log file locations, see the individual product help pages.
To troubleshoot and resolve issues effectively you need to understand how to use the log files. You also need to know when to use the default logs, and when to use the archived log files.
When you get an error message, the following steps can help you to identify which component has failed:
- Read the error message carefully as it can tell you which component has failed.
- Navigate to the default log files for the failed component.
- When you have found the correct log file, search for errors to identify the issue.
Default log files
These log files are stored in C:\ProgramData\NPrinting\Logs:
- nprinting_scheduler.log - log files for scheduled tasks, and scheduled reloads.
- nprinting_webengine.log - log files for connections to apps and Qlik Sense, QlikView servers, authentication, and licensing issues.
- nprinting_engine.log - log files for connections to apps, licensing issues, and metadata generation.
Qlik NPrinting application problems
- Was Qlik NPrinting working before the problem occurred?
- Have you reloaded the metadata?
See: Working with apps
- In Qlik NPrinting, navigate to C:\ProgramData\NPrinting\Logs to view the log files.
- Check that your Qlik NPrinting users have the appropriate users rights.
See: Creating connections
- Check if the Qlik NPrinting version is compatible with your QlikView, or Qlik Sense installation.