Backing up Qlik NPrinting
Qlik NPrinting is delivered with a utility, Qlik.Nprinting.Manager.exe, that is used to create backups and restore deployments.
Qlik.NPrinting.Manager.exe is installed by default, and is located in %Program Files%\NPrintingServer\Tools\Manager. This tool is a console application and must be executed from a command prompt. The resulting backup contains a Qlik NPrinting repository database dump file, and related files in a .zip archive.
Accessing the command line help
Enter one of the following commands to see the command line help for the Qlik.NPrinting.Manager.exe:
- Qlik.Nprinting.Manager.exe --help for general help
- Qlik.Nprinting.Manager.exe backup --help for help with backups
- Qlik.Nprinting.Manager.exe restore --help for help with restoring from a backup
Before you begin:
- Check to see if Qlik NPrinting Engine is installed on the Qlik NPrinting Server computer where you are creating the backup.
Verify the location of your PostgreSQL installation, typically C:\Program Files\NPrintingServer\pgsql\bin.
- Verify that you know the superuser password for the PostgreSQL database.
- Delete, move, or rename any existing backup files if this is not the first backup created, as the tool will not overwrite an existing file with the same name.
Do the following:
- On the computer that hosts your Qlik NPrinting Server installation, open the Windows Service Manager (services.msc), and stop the following services in the order listed, by right-clicking on the service then selecting Stop:
- Qlik NPrintingEngine (if installed on the computer)
- Qlik NPrintingScheduler
- Qlik NPrintingWebEngine
- Using Windows Explorer, create a folder to store the backups in, for example C:\NPrintingBackups.
- Open a Windows command prompt (cmd.exe) as administrator, and navigate to the folder where Qlik.NPrinting.Manager.exe is installed. The default location is %Program Files%\NPrintingServer\Tools\Manager. For example:
cd C:\Program Files\NPrintingServer\Tools\Manager
Qlik.Nprinting.Manager.exe backup -f followed by the full path to the backup folder that you created in step 2, then concatenate -p followed by the full path to the PostgreSQL bin folder. Also concatenate the option --pg-password followed by the repository database superuser password that you defined during setup. For example:
Qlik.Nprinting.Manager.exe backup -f C:\NPrintingBackups\NP_Backup.zip -p "C:\Program Files\NPrintingServer\pgsql\bin" --pg-password secretPasswordTip noteAdding the repository database superuser password into the command line is optional. If you do not enter the superuser password, it will be read from the Qlik NPrinting configuration files.Information noteQuotation marks are necessary when you have spaces in the path.
- Read the messages displayed on the console carefully as they provide important status and error information.
When the backup is complete, you will see a .zip file named NP_Backup.zip in the folder that you created in step 2 above, for example C:\NPrintingBackups.
- Verify that your backup was successful by navigating to the folder that you created in step 2 above, and checking that the .zip file is there.