Supported and unsupported configurations
This section outlines supported and unsupported Qlik NPrinting installation configurations.
Qlik NPrinting can only be installed on C drives.
- You can install Qlik NPrinting Server, Qlik NPrinting Engine, and Qlik NPrinting Designer on the same computer, or several different computers.
- You can import Qlik NPrinting 16 reports into Qlik NPrinting 17 or higher environments. You cannot import entire projects (.nsq files). See: Using the migration tool.
- Reporting will work on both physical and virtual machines. In both configurations, virtualized applications are not supported. For example Qlik NPrinting Engine will not work if it is installed on one computer with a virtualized QlikView Desktop distributed from a different computer.
- You can connect from one Qlik NPrinting Engine to both a QlikView Cluster and a Qlik Sense cluster at the same time.
All supported configurations must be implemented within a single Active Directory domain, unless JWT and or SAML are implemented. In this case, the restriction for Qlik NPrinting web console users mapped to domain accounts in other trusted domains (a domain that Qlik NPrinting can authenticate within the same Active Directory Forest) is lifted. See: JWT authentication and Security Assertion Markup Language (SAML) single sign-on (SSO).
- For a list of supported configurations in Qlik NPrinting, see the system requirements pages:
- Qlik NPrinting 16 and Qlik NPrinting Designer June 2017 or later cannot be installed on the same computer.
- Qlik NPrinting Designer June 2017 or later cannot manage Qlik NPrinting 16 projects (.nsq files), but you can import individual Qlik NPrinting 16 reports. See: Using the migration tool.
- Qlik NPrinting Server 16 and Qlik NPrinting June 2017 (or later) Server or Engine cannot be installed on the same computer.
Qlik NPrinting Engine and Server and Qlik Sense Server should not be installed on the same computer.
There are no known incompatibilities between these two products, but in a production environment, Qlik NPrinting should be installed on a separate computer (virtual or physical) from Qlik Sense because Qlik NPrinting Engine and Server will consume all the available resources of the computer they are installed on. This may lead to Qlik Sense crashing because of lack of resources.
Qlik NPrinting Engine and Server should not be installed on the same computer where QlikView Server or QlikView Publisher are installed.
There are no known incompatibilities between these two products, but in a production environment, Qlik NPrinting should be installed on a separate computer (virtual or physical) from QlikView Server or QlikView Publisher because Qlik NPrinting Engine and Server will consume all the available resources of the computer they are installed on. This may lead to QlikView Server or QlikView Publisher crashing because of lack of resources.
- QlikView Desktop and Microsoft Office cannot be distributed as virtualized applications. They must be installed locally on the same physical or virtual machine where you install the Qlik NPrinting components.
- Microsoft Windows is the only supported operating system. For example, you cannot install Qlik NPrinting Server on a Linux computer.
- You can only install one instance of Qlik NPrinting Server, Engine, or Designer on a computer.
Domain trusts, multiple domains, and cross-domain implementations are not supported. For example, where Qlik NPrinting Server is deployed on one domain, the Windows user accounts mapped to Qlik NPrinting users cannot be domain accounts from a different domain that Qlik NPrinting Server is not a member of.
As of Qlik NPrinting June 2018, Qlik NPrinting is not compatible with Qlik Sense 2.2. If you are using an unsupported version of Qlik Sense, you should update your installation, even if it seems to be working.