Installing Qlik NPrinting and Qlik Sense on the same computer
Installing Qlik Sense and Qlik NPrinting on the same computer is not a supported configuration. In a production environment, Qlik NPrinting Server and Qlik NPrinting Engine will consume all of the available resources of the computer that they are installed on. If Qlik Sense is installed on the same computer as Qlik NPrinting Qlik Sense may crash due to a lack of available resources, and no reports will be delivered. Currently, Qlik NPrinting Server, Qlik NPrinting Engine and Qlik Sense do not have an internal system to limit their usage or resources.
In some circumstances, such as for demonstrations, you may choose to install the Qlik NPrinting Server, Qlik NPrinting Engine, and Qlik Sense on the same computer. It is also possible to run Qlik Sense and Qlik NPrinting together on an AWS (Amazon Web Service) computer by doing some additional configuration.
We recommend not using this configuration for a proofs of concept because it could return false results. The concurrent usage of resources by Qlik NPrinting and Qlik Sense could cause the system to fail. This does not happen in a correctly configured production environment.
To limit the effects of contextual usage of resources:
- assign more hardware resources (more RAM, more CPUs) to a virtual machine
- reboot the computer often so that resources are released
Do the following:
- Install Qlik Sense.
See: Planning your deployment.
- Install Qlik NPrinting Server and Qlik NPrinting Engine.
Qlik NPrinting Designer can be installed on the same computer (virtual or physical) as Qlik Sense and Qlik NPrinting, or on a different one.
- Install the Qlik Sense certificates.
You only need to install the client.pfx certificate. You must use the same Windows account set in the Qlik NPrinting Engine Windows service.
- From the Qlik NPrinting web console, connect the Qlik NPrinting Engine with the Qlik NPrinting scheduler service local node.
- Create a Qlik NPrinting connection to a Qlik Sense app.
Remember to use the computer name, because using localhost is not supported. To find the correct computer name of an AWS (Amazon Web Services) computer, see Additional configuration for AWS computers.
For all Qlik NPrinting connections to Qlik Sense, the proxy address must be the address of the Certificate Authority created by Qlik Sense.
To find the address of the Certificate Authority on the AWS (Amazon Web Services) computer, do the following:
- Open a command prompt.
- Run mmc.exe.
- In the File menu, click on Add/Remove snap in.
- Select Certificates in the Snap-in column
- Click Add.
- Select Computer account.
- Click Next.
- Click Finish.
- Click Ok.
- Expand the Certificates (Local Computer) node by clicking on the ú symbol.
- Select Personal.
- The computer name you require appears in the Issued By column and it ends with -CA. For example, you may find an Issued By value like ip-123-31-38-88.ec2.internal-CA, so you must use ip-123-31-38-88.ec2.internal as the computer address to connect to.
When creating a Qlik NPrinting connection to Qlik Sense, the computer address must be preceded by https://.
The above steps are mandatory because on AWS (Amazon Web Services) computers Qlik Sense produces its certificates by using a specific network interface, which is not the public Amazon computer name, or the computer name.