Viewing dataset details
Dataset details provide an information overview of your data. User-defined properties and tags are included in this summary along with metadata such as size, owner, file type, and created and last modified timestamps.
From the hub Home tab, navigate to Your data; or from Explore, open the Data tab.
When hovering over a dataset tile in the Home tab, the data file extension icon (example: .XLSX) changes to an Open dataset button. The source file name displays below it. Note that datasets inherit the name of the original data file and can be edited.
Select Open dataset to view Details.
|Type||Object type (example: Dataset)|
|Source||Original data file name (example: MyVolumes.txt)|
|Creator||The name of the user who uploaded the data (example: TW Tom Walden)|
|File type||File type extension (example: .TXT)|
|Space||The name of the destination space (example: Personal)|
|Created date||Timestamp of dataset object creation (example: Feb 18, 2021 7:21 PM)|
|Size||File size (example: 555.9 KB)|
|Owner||The creator or user the dataset was shared with (example: JS Jan Smith)|
Timestamp of the last modification made on the dataset (example: Feb 18, 2021 7:21 PM)
(optional) Any properties that have been applied (example: PHI (Personal Health Information Yes))
|Tags||Metatags that have been applied display (example: tag1, tier3, upgrade, and so on)|
Permissions are required in a space to view datasets and view dataset details. Both actions map to the permission List and use data source. For more information, see Managing permissions in shared spaces or Managing permissions in managed spaces.
- View datasets > List and use data source
- View details > List and use data source
Select the menu for the following options:
- Add to Collection: Collections are organizations of objects in the cloud hub. Select this option to:
- Search for a collection
- Create collection
- Add to a collection
Create app from data: See Creating an app from data
Profile data: See Profiling data
Edit: Select to edit Name, Description, or Tags. See Tagging datasets
Let's add a file and load the data into a space. Do the following:
- Click on the following link to download a sample data file to your computer: GlobalGoods.csv
- Select Add new and then Data file.
- An Add file dialog modal opens. Select Browse to navigate to the GlobalGoods.csv file in your Downloads folder (or an alternate directory where downloads are saved on your computer); select Personal space to upload the file to, then Upload.
- When the file is uploaded, it appears in Your data. Select Open dataset to view Details.
Details view lists information about the data file including File type, Total rows, and Total fields. Once tags and properties are applied, those details also appear.