Tags (also known as metatags) are applied by users to assist in locating and organizing data. Data contributors enter and apply free-form tags to datasets for improved search and categorization. This is a useful tool for data administrators who need to filter on particular types of data assets for many reasons, including allocation of cost center resources, segmentation of sales and marketing organizations, and permissions and governance strategy. App developers and data consumers use tags to identify datasets for improved efficiency and organization.
From the hub Home tab, navigate to Your data; or from Explore, open the Data tab.
Select Open dataset, open the menu, and select Edit. A box appears where the dataset Name, Description, and Tags can be edited. Tags that have already been applied to the dataset appear in the list.
In the Tags box, enter tags made up of any character string (spaces and special characters are allowed with a limit of 31 characters across multiple tags). Enter each tag separately then Save the new tags. Individual tags can be deleted by selecting x on the tags.
- Open the Explore tab and enter the tag in the Filter by tag dropdown. Users with access to the dataset can filter on applied tags. Note that all system tags created by users can be viewed from this dropdown.
Permissions are required to apply tags to datasets. The action of tagging datasets maps to the broader permission Edit and apply properties to data source in the space. For more information, see Managing permissions in shared spaces or Managing permissions in managed spaces.
- Tagging data > Edit and apply properties to data source in the space
Let's add a file and load the data into a space. Do the following:
- Click on the following link to download a sample data file to your computer: GlobalGoods.csv
- Select Add new and then Data file.
- An Add file dialog box opens. Select Browse to navigate to the GlobalGoods.csv file in your Downloads folder (or an alternate directory where downloads are saved on your computer); under Space, select Personal, then Upload.
- After the file is uploaded, it appears in Your data. Select Open dataset, open the menu, and select Edit. A dialog box appears where the dataset Name, Description, and Tags can be edited. Tags that have already been applied to the dataset appear in the list.
- Let's add a couple of tags. In the Tags box, enter contact and region1 then Save the new tags. Note that any character string including spaces and special characters are allowed with a limit of 31 characters across multiple tags.
- Go to the Explore tab and filter on one of the tags that you just added. This dataset will now display when a tag is applied as a filter.