Configuring dataset properties
Properties can be applied to datasets in order to associate them with specific data compliance standards. This is a valuable feature for data administrators responsible for data protection and compliance with regional and industry-specific privacy requirements.
From the hub Home tab, navigate to Your data; or from Explore, open the Data tab.
Select Open dataset and then the Properties tab. Any properties that have already been applied to the dataset display in the list.
To view or apply available properties, select Add property.
Select the applicable property for it to appear in the property list for that dataset. After the list populates, selectable values for the properties (Yes/No) display. Select any additional properties that are applicable and specify a value for that property. Be aware that these properties are user-defined through this process; data is not automatically identified for inclusion in these categories.
The last property is a custom property listed as Subject area. If you want to apply a custom property to the dataset, select this property and enter a descriptive value that will identify the dataset with that policy or grouping. When these properties and associated values are applied, the properties and values appear on the Details page for each dataset. For example, you can choose Subject area and describe it with the value "proprietary". Once complete, the details page will list "Subject area" with "proprietary" as the value.
Permissions are required to edit and apply properties. Look for the permission Edit and apply properties to data source in the space for details in these topics: see Managing permissions in shared spaces or Managing permissions in managed spaces.
Let's add a file and load the data into a space. Do the following:
- Click on the following link to download a sample data file to your computer: GlobalGoods.csv
- Select Add new and then Data file.
- The Add file dialog box opens. Select Browse to navigate to the GlobalGoods.csv file in your Downloads folder (or an alternate directory where downloads are saved on your computer); under Space, select Personal, then Upload.
When the file is uploaded, it appears in Your data. Select Open dataset, then Properties and Add property to display available properties from the dropdown.
- Select the Sensitive information property and select Yes for its value.
- Next, select Subject area to customize a property; a box will appear with an empty box, type Proprietary and enter.
- Select Details to view the new properties you have added.